Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Navigation

Untitled Document

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Website is back open for bussines
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 pm by Admin

» movie about islam problematic read and learn more
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 2:27 pm by Admin

» Last Man Standing
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 8:54 pm by Admin

» The Dutch Predators
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 8:53 pm by Admin

» Noise Tank Androids (NTA) ENG
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 7:37 am by NTAEndar

» istuff great site for free ipods
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 9:41 pm by silenthunter

» I gues some body really hates the red lights... on his 360
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 4:01 am by NTARelix

» Worst xbox 360 advertisment ever
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 3:59 am by NTARelix

» Stowebag 360
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 3:56 am by NTARelix

» hacked?? WTF
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 3:48 am by NTARelix

» 5 reasons to take firefox instead of IE
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 3:47 am by NTARelix

» new style
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 3:42 am by NTARelix

» ASSASIN'S CREED 2 FOOTAGE!
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 11:40 pm by Admin

» Post Something!!
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 11:04 pm by NTAEndar

» The Ultimate Gaming PC
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 2:06 am by Admin

ASSASIN'S CREED 2 FOOTAGE!

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:25 pm by Admin

Battlefield bad company beta details

Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:11 pm by Admin

March 20, 2008 - There's a multiplayer beta for Battlefield: Bad Company
on the way. Interested? Of course you are. This will be your chance to
give the Frostbite engine and its massively …

Enemy territory: Quake Wars Preview

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:19 pm by Admin

March 20, 2008 - Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake.
Three consecutive releases for a company, three unique intellectual
properties, and each will benchmark in the history of the first-person
shooter …

Call of Duty 4 Map Pack

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:31 am by Admin

March 17, 2008 - In November of 2007 the gaming industry was formally introduced to the fourth installment in one of the most popular first-person franchises of the last decade. The hype train had …

Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky Impressions (DLC)

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:30 am by Admin

March 10, 2008 - BioWare released the first round of downloadable content for Mass Effect
today, so we hopped in the Normandy to check out the newest edition to
the galaxy, a nondescript hunk of …

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review 5.0

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 501
    Personalized field : Favourite games
    Personalized field : BioShock
    Personalized field : Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
    Registration date : 2008-02-16

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review  5.0 Empty Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Review 5.0

Post by Admin Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:02 pm

review video

February 28, 2008 - The creators of Turning Point: Fall of Liberty began with an intriguing question: What if the U.S. had never become involved in World War II? Would power-crazed Nazi Germany, having gained control of Europe and Asia, eventually bring its military machine to bear on isolationist America?

As Turning Point begins, we're told that British diplomat Winston Churchill was killed when struck by a taxi in New York City in 1931 (Churchill really was hit by a taxi that year, but he survived and walked with a cane for the rest of his life). This alternate history provides the conceit by which the rest of Turning Point's story unfolds.

It's a solid introduction and a fascinating question of the type pondered by history nerds the world over. It's all downhill from there.

Despite its lofty ambitions, developer Spark Unlimited has delivered a shallow first-person shooter that largely fails to deliver. Set against such a grand backdrop, the game's thin, trite narrative falls flat. There is little characterization, and I didn't find myself caring about much that happened in the game.

Apparently, my name is Dan Carson, and I'm a construction worker everyman who is unofficially drafted as America's savior after the skies over New York City become black with German zeppelins. If you love zeppelins -- I mean if you really, really love zeppelins -- you'll at least get something out of Turning Point as there's a blimp around every corner.

Apparently, by 1953, when Turning Point takes place, the German Luftwaffe has arrived at the inevitable conclusion that dirigibles are the aircraft of choice for low air support. I'm not sure what bulletproof material they're fashioned from, but the only way I can ground them is to shoot them with six consecutive rockets. They're actually called "assault blimps" in the game, and they made me laugh.

Super-zeppelins and tepid storylines would be somewhat forgivable if Turning Point played like a dream, but it does not. Most of the levels are dull, and the ones that are interesting are plagued (like the rest of the game) with bad artificial intelligence. Except for the last act of the game (there are three), enemies are rarely aggressive and seem heavily scripted.

I was never once flanked or otherwise outmaneuvered by Nazi forces, many of whom were wearing bright orange goggles that made them ridiculously easy to spot at a distance. Multiple times I was able to walk directly up to enemies who were facing me but seemed to not even realize I was there. I dealt them death, but my victories were hollow. That's because there's no blood or body damage of any kind in Turning Point. There are Nazi flags, swastikas and the twin lightning bolts of the SS at every turn, but I can't have blood?

It's usually no more fun killing enemies from a distance in Turning Point, either. I found the aiming controls to be jerky and inconsistent, and they often changed wildly in feel from one weapon to the next. The game uses a grenade detection system like the one used in Call of Duty 4, but it's also imprecise and tells you little about how close you are to a grenade or where it landed.

In the wake of recently-released FPSs like CoD4, BioShock and Halo 3, Turning Point feels archaic. But that's not to say it doesn't work fundamentally as a shooter. If you're a hardcore gotta-play-em-all shooter fan and have been longing for a return to the WWII themes popularized by series like Medal of Honor, Turning Point will grab your interest. The game works, start to finish, and there is a cohesive (albeit thin) story to be told along the way.

Unfortunately, the straight-up playability of the game is marred by some examples of sloppy execution, the worst of which is the "hand" icon that is supposed to appear over usable items in the environment. It works well enough on doors, but in many levels of the game trying to get the icon to appear over levers, valves, elevator buttons and ladders is maddeningly difficult. I'm not playing a point-and-click adventure here, and I'm not interested in moving my reticule pixel-by-pixel over a lever handle until the hand icon appears. Glitches like these kill Turning Point's pacing, which is already spotty at best.

Boring story and rough gameplay don't matter as long as it looks awesome, right? Well, wrong, but it doesn't matter anyway because Turning Point is not a graphically accomplished game. The graphics are not impressive, and clipping and framerate stutter are common. When multiple enemies or other activities are present on-screen, serious slowdown usually follows. For a modern first-person shooter on a current-generation console, this game performs poorly.

Turning Point is the very definition of a linear game, which would be fine if exciting things happened along the way, which they really don't. There are a few standout moments where the level designers seemed to break away and try new things, but the game is otherwise repetitive and uninteresting.

And aside from moving through the maps, there's nothing else to keep your attention. There are no secrets to be found, no hidden paths, no collectible items and few exciting scripted events.

Three or four times, I was asked by the National Guard to plant and arm bombs on vehicles and objects. As a construction worker with no military experience, I'm obviously the man for the job. This activity involves walking up to, say, a tank, where the bomb is already inexplicably placed. Click on it and match three wires, which correspond to the colors of your controller's face buttons. It is impossible to fail this "puzzle" unless you are color blind. In that case, it would be a game-breaking problem.

Health is progressive, which means you'll have to take cover to heal when you get riddled with Nazi bullets. For firing back, you're allowed to carry four grenades and two weapons, which you can swap for dropped weapons as you come across them. Turning Point features some interesting boomsticks, like the MP50 submachine gun, that were apparently in actual development in Germany during WWII. On the American side, you'll have use of old standbys like the M1 Garand and Thompson gun.

For all the broad backstory in Turning Point, there is little attention paid to detail in the game itself. There are cutscenes between each level moving the story forward, though, and they actually raise some interesting questions. But again, they have little connection to the actual gameplay and are quite forgettable.

Turning Point scores reasonably well with its "grappling" feature, which allows you to grab an enemy and either knock him out, which results in a cool animation, or use him as a human shield. The latter choice is pretty useless on the lower difficulty levels but can come in handy on the harder settings. It was a nice addition to the game and resulted in some of the more satisfying moments I had with Turning Point.

Multiplayer, however, is not satisfying and was clearly an afterthought. I played better multiplayer World War II games on the original Xbox. There are two modes -- deathmatch and team deathmatch -- available for up to 8 players online or via System Link. Hit a loadout screen before you head into a match, pick a weapon and then fall asleep.

Collector's edition: I'm not sure what you'd be collecting if you buy the Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Collector's Edition, but here's what you'll get if you do -- a tin case that includes the game, a DVD, a stapled paper art book that I originally confused for the instruction manual and a fold-out poster that would be illegal in Germany and is NSFW. The DVD has three sections, none of which are all that interesting.

The first consists of marketing videos featuring Spark's CEO which tell you all about the game you just bought. The second section houses some concept art (more zeppelins), and the third tells the thrilling story of how the soundtrack was recorded. I love a good making-of-the-soundtrack feature, don't you? Picture a lot of close-ups of bearded guys frowning at soundboards and intent French horn players staring at sheet music, interspersed with game footage.

Closing Comments
    Turning Point: Fall of liberty is a shining example of a great idea poorly executed. There is fun to be had with the game, but it's not the grand adventure it claims to be. Shooting Nazis in the streets of three major U.S. cities should be a non-stop thrill ride that has me on the edge of my seat. This game provides the opposite experience. If you're a die-hard WWII buff (or zeppelin fetishist), give this one a rent. Otherwise, skip it and read a Harry Turtledove novel instead.

IGN Ratings for Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Collector's Edition (X360)
    Rating Description See Our Glorious Home Theater Setup!
    out of 10 click here for ratings guideGet Ratings Information
    5.0 Presentation
    Good ideas notwithstanding, Turning Point falls flat in its look, feel and storytelling.
    5.5 Graphics
    Slowdown, framerate problems and other tech issues abound. Oh, and it just doesn't look very good.
    7.0 Sound
    They shelled out the big bucks for an orchestral score, and it shows. The music is solid, and the sound effects are appropriate. Voice acting is hit-or-miss.
    5.0 Gameplay
    Aiming is spotty, AI is useless and levels are usually dull and repetitive. Behind the grand concepts, this game is mostly a bore.
    4.0 Lasting Appeal
    Once you're done, you're done (and you'll be done quickly). There are no items to collect or secrets to discover, so there's no reason to go back for more. Multiplayer is very limited.
    Meh OVERALL
    (out of 10 / not an average)

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:14 pm